Saturday, December 22, 2007
a quick translation of a news
item from a Russian news
To mark the 90th anniversary of the Security Service
(called NKVD, KGB, FSS at different times of its
existence), the Service revealed several documents
detailing the ultimate fate of Hitler's remains.
Translation by Sergei Romanov, place names verified by
RM. Ada Petrova has told the story before, on the basis
of the same documents: http://books.google.com/books?id=X6TSFrUDjdUC&dq
[Original Russian News
Remains Of Adolf Hitler And Eva Braun Were Scattered Over
THE Federal Security Service
[former KGB - translator] has concluded one of
the greatest mysteries of the Twentieth Century. To mark
the 90th anniversary of the Service, nine new and
formerly classified documents have been presented in the
Central Museum of the Great Patriotic War, which revealed
the ultimate fate of the charred remains of the Hitler's
After the second burial the remains of Adolf
Hitler and his wife Eva Braun were scattered
over the Elbe River.
Felix Dzerzhinsky set up the Security Service
itself on the December 20, 1917 for the purpose of
fighting counter-revolutionary activity, speculation,
sabotage and bad management.
The highly classified story of the Hitler's death
begins on May 2, 1945 when Colonel Klimenko, the
counterintelligence chief of the 79th corps
(counterintelligence departments carried the name of
SMERSH, from the Russian
abbreviation for "Death to Spies", "smert'
shpionam") together with two Germans who could
recognize Hitler (their names were Lange
[Heinz Linge?] and Schneider), drew
up a deed which that confirmed the fact of discovery of
charred bodies of [Joseph] Goebbels and
his wife at 17:00 of the same day.
For the two consecutive days they tried
(unsuccessfully) to find the body of Hitler. On the
fourth "in a bomb crater near the Führer's bunker
there were discovered two more bodies, one belonged to a
woman, and the other was male".
Both corpses were "much charred and this prevented
identification in the absence of forensic tests".
The bodies were brought to a counterintelligence
department (SMERSH) of the Third
Army. After forensic tests they were buried in the
vicinity of the town of Buch [phonetic spelling -
translator: Berlin-Buch ].
The paperwork in the case of Adolf Hitler contains
statements to the effect that, for the reason of
relocation of the SMERSH
department "the corpses were interred and moved first to
the vicinity of the town of Fin [phonetic:
Finow?], and then on June 3, 1945 to the vicinity of
the town of Rathenow, where they were finally re-buried.
The corpses are in wooden boxes and are buried at the
depth of 1.7 meters".Führer's
dogs were buried nearby.
The opened documents also reveal that the Hitler's
grave was "325 meters away from a railway bridge along a
forest lane [a lane cleared of trees usually for
forestry needs - translator], fifty-five meters
to the north-east from a (forestry) marking pole 111 ..
towards the next marking pole, which was in fifty-five
metres... and in twenty-six metres exactly east from it.
[the directions are not unambiguous in Russian,
and my translation does not clear the mess, as well - but
it gives the idea of the description in the document -
translator]. The grave filled with the corpses
was leveled, and small pine trees were planted on the
surface to form the number 111."
For a quarter of a century the USSR kept this
information secret. (....) Moscow never answered any
questions, reports Inopressa news agency
In 1970 [Yuri] Andropov [the KGB
Chief at the time] with consent of the Politbureau,
decided to "archive" the case for good. On March 20, 1970
the Council of Ministers of the USSR approved of the
plan, which was assigned a code-name of "Archive"
The operation was to be top secret. Within fifteen
days a group of five agents headed by Colonel Kovalenko
arrived at Westendstrasse 36, Magdeburg. The remains of
Hitler and Braun were transported to this location.
Colonel Kovalenko drafted a handwritten document of
The report said that "the remains were placed into a
box during the excavation of the soil... the action was
carried out during the night and morning hours of April
The box with the remains stayed under the guard of the
agents until the morning of April 5, 1970, when the
remains were physically smashed.
On the following day the remains were cremated in the
vicinity of Schönebeck eleven kilometers away from
The ashes and cinders were "mixed together until they
turned into uniform mass, and then they were collected
and poured out into the water of the nearby river".
The documents do not state the name of the river, but
the river that flows in that area is Elbe.
[Approximate Russian text of above.]